Saturday, June 7, 2014

THE FASHION GUY WITH THE VINTAGE EYE presents "SENSE OF STYLE" Dr. Maya Angelou

Maya Angelou
"Sense Of Style"

              Today I began to work on a story for my blog concentrating on a beautiful double breasted Vintage tweed men's coat titled "Vintage Hunter"; but as I sat at my desk in my room looking out the window, hoping to be encouraged and compelled by what my eyes could see, looking for the right words to come to me, all I could think of was Dr. Maya Angelou. I knew her home going celebration was today and I thought with her being the LEGEND that she IS, I figured she would be on the mainstream networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) but of course she wasn't (we have much progress to make as people). Of course Mother Oprah Winfrey had her on the OWN Network and it was beautiful. As I listened to all of the dignitaries and the family of Maya Angelou give great dissertations concerning her life and her body of work I began to become encouraged and compelled to write about her! I sat and tried to figure out how can I apply FASHION, CHRISTIANITY, and Dr. Angelou in the same story. She wasn't a fashion model from the 50s, and she wasn't a recognizable clergyman of today; she was simply a Poet, Civil Rights Activist, Dancer, Film Producer, Television Producer, Playwright, Film Director, Author, Actress, and Professor. Which in my book makes her Fashionable; she is what you call having a "Sense Of Style". Sense of Style is not a Jack McConnell Hat, it's not a quilted Chanel bag, it's not a European Cut suit, or the finest preaching robe, although all of those things are wonderful (don't get me wrong LOL). It's about NOT being afraid to be different and or stepping out of the norm. You can have the most wonderful garments but without self confidence (I think I'm preaching) you are just another manikin (a life sized anatomical human model) WHICH EVERY STORE HAS THEM. You have to be daring to step out and be different. Being from NY the home of fashion, I have been privileged to many different fashions entities; through that I was able to build my own sense of style. I don't shop in thrift stores because I can't afford anything in Neimans or Bergdorf (trust me I can and do), I shop there because I can find things that aren't popular, that everyone isn't wearing, it suits my character, and my Sense Of Style. Dr. Angelou went against the grain, she went against what black woman were told they could be, she knew who she was, she was confident in her ways whether she knew the outcome or not. When it comes to having your own Sense Of Style it's ok to add what is popular and on trend at that moment, but add what makes you happy, and what makes you feel good. "Case in point"  and "for example" Christian Louboutins are very stylish and beautiful shoes, they have been a trend for the past couple of years; but guess what??? They are the most uncomfortable shoes you will ever wear in my opinion (which is the only one that counts at this particular moment). Step outside of the box like Dr. Angelou did, be your own person, take the limits off, don't allow your situations to be stumbling blocks but allow them to be stepping stones; and when finding your own Sense Of Style have respect for yourself. Growing up and learning about Dr. Angelou and in my adult years even on today while researching her for this piece, I didn't hear anything negative that she did. I read and heard of negative situations that she was in but it wasn't due to anything she had done, it was because of the times. One thing about it, she never let the times stop her; racism, roe vs wade which aided in the Feminist Movement, and last but not least in her own words "being uneducated, a woman, a young pregnant woman, 6 feet tall, and black" (which she said kept her from applying for a job at the United Nations) stop her from being who she BECAME. Again having your own Sense Of Style is not being like everyone else, you can have little money but be the most fashionable person. Sense of Style of going beyond the norm, and finding out, coming into, and being who you really are and it will show in your outward appearance. I love Louis Vuitton, Chanel, and Dior; I love shopping at Nordstrom, and Barney's, I love my first pair of Christian Louboutin shoes and Jo Ghost shoes, but my Sense Of Style was built from my Confidence, and because of my Confidence I have a Sense Of Style. Marguerite Annie Johnson aka Dr.Maya Angelou was and is FASHIONABLE and a CHRISTIAN, she embodies everything my blog is! 

"Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it"
Maya Angelou






No comments:

Post a Comment