Tuesday, June 24, 2014

THE FASHION GUY WITH THE VINTAGE EYE presents "Fashion, Faith, and Fathers"

Fashion, Faith, and Fathers...

               Although Father's Day was over a week ago in which I had another blog planned focusing on two fashion forward, faith driven fathers, I decided to go this route. There have been many stereotypes when it comes to the Black Father. People have thrown out words such a "dead beat" and "no good", luckily growing up my dad (Ernest Michael Myrick) was always around. He introduced me to the world of fashion. I remember as a teenager while all other young boys were buying Jordan's and going to local shoe stores for dress shoes, my dad would make my shoe buying process a two day excursion. We would start out with breakfast at a diner in Jersey after which we would head out to Philly and just SHOP! I never was one who loved (or even liked) sports, but my dad played all throughout High School, College, and on a charity basketball team in NY for a radio station (WBLS Sure Shots). Since I was never interested in any kind of sport, shopping was our time of bonding; getting to know each other and realizing we have so much in common with each other. My father introduced me to alligator, snakeskin, ostrich, and other exotic shoes; he also introduced me to Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Barney's, and Bergdorf! I remember being the only one in High School with an exclusive pair of denim coach loafers, custom burgundy snakeskin belt, and custom dress shirts all because of my dad. He helped me express myself through fashion and what I wore. He afforded me to know how to make a proper knot in a tie, how to have my pants tailored to my body, which cut suits fit me best, how to be fashionable and manly, and most of all how to present myself wardrobe wise in interviews; I realize many young men do not know how to properly dress when it comes to interviewing wardrobe. I was licensed as a minister November 15,1998; I have always been faith based. I haven't always been the best Christian I could have been but like everyone else I'm striving and pressing. My dad has always believed in God I know that for a fact but growing up he was really never one to worship with us (family). I would always pray as a young boy "God I know my daddy knows you but he doesn't know you for the pardon of his sins so please save him and fill him AMEN". A few years ago my dad become extremely invovlved in his church in NY (The Historic Abyssinian Baptist Church), and was saved and filled with the Holy Ghost!  Out of all of our bonding experiences to many 5 star restaurants and shopping at the finest boutiques all over this country, this was the best way for us to bond. A black son would be able to worship and pray with his black father. Despite what statics and the news says there are Black Men who are amazing faith based fathers, setting positive examples and loving on their children. I remember worshiping with my dad as an adult the first time in his church; during his mens week and he had the opportunity to be apart of the program and share the word of God with his fellow brethren. I was extremely proud of my dad as he eloquently and boldy read his scripture in his well tailored 3 piece pinstripe suit, complimentary pocket square, and a great "not to big not to small" bow tie. My dad has never been shy to tell me that he loves me and the barrier is down and I know I can go to him in confidence about anything in life. My dad embodies Fashion, Faith, and is an amazing Father. The young black boy in me loves the black daddy in him and the Young Black Man that I am hopes to become the Strong Black Man he is! 





No comments:

Post a Comment