Friday, May 9, 2014

"THE FASHION GUY WITH THE VINTAGE EYE" presents The Vintage Vault!


WELCOME TO THE VINTAGE VAULT!
"I'll be doing this for the rest of my life"
Pastor Kevin Bond

As I drive up and down i20, around 285, and through 75/85, I am always looking for spots, sales, shops, stores, and boutiques that I feel with feed my need for Vintage wear. I am always going to estate sales and garage sales hosted by preferably older people; they may still carry different pieces from their "heydays" of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Driving through Stone Moutain Village here in Georgia on my way to get my haircut, I have always noticed this little spot with a sign bigger than its door advertising VINTAGE CLOTHING. By the looks of it I thought I would just find junk in there being that I always see a lot of dirt on the ground, clothes hanging on a fishing line outside, and toys all over the front of this store. I've passed it numerous times saying to myself I would stop in and see what they have to offer, knowing that the best treasures are found in places like this. I finally found the time to go in and comb through the racks, boxes, and piles of clothing. I found the perfect FIT for my client and found a few pieces for another client and spent only 10.00 on one suit that looked a million bucks when the look was finally put together. Although this particular spot won't be my go to for my Vintage fix, it was definitely worth the stop. I wouldn't suggest a "virgin" to the world of vintage to shop in a place like this but to other vintage connoisseurs this is what it's all about. Going through all of the wreckage to find that one absolutely stunning piece that you just have to have! Knowing how to differentiate between what is a good and usable vintage piece and what is just old is a necessity when Vintage and Thrift shopping. Everything from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and especially the 80s isn't considered  fashionable today. A good structured piece that you might have seen different icons from those eras wear such as First Lady Jackie Bouvier Kennedy Onassis or Actress Lucille Desiree Ball Arnaz Morton or even the Beatles can give you an indication on what is fashionable today. Even following such people on Instagram like stylist, fashion blogger, and fashion icon in her own right Lady Keri Crutchfield (@adorneddc) or myself (@THEE_VINTAGE_GUY) to find what is in style when it comes to this way of living. Two important features when it comes to Vintage buying and shopping; sizing and tailoring. Sizing has dramatically changed from the 1950s to now. They went by measurements and not exactly by a 4, 6, 8, or size 10; so it would be wise to download a sizing chart on your phone so you can add the measurements and find out what size you are really buying. A tailor will be your best friend when it comes to Vintage wear. Because of the wear from the years on these pieces there may be some damage or maybe even an odor, or possbily you need to add a piece of fabric to the look to make it pop or fit better. Build a relationship with your tailor or maybe even a local designer to help you with your look. Depending on the brand of the garment, if you find a good Chanel or Yves Saint Laurent dress for 20, 30, or even 40 dollars I feel it is on to spend double that on alterations; this could be a piece that will make you stick out in the crowds and noticed for something you have that everyone wants but can't get. I would never spend 7dollars on a dress to pay 100 dollars on alterations. I can save that money and put it towards a St.John Knit for my mother or someone dear to me. 

Client:
Here we have this 29 year old financial consultant by trade and well known stylist by passion who is a true vintage connoisseur! As a freelance stylist it can be a difficult task to convince a possible client (everyone is a possible client) to hire you as a stylist especially when your craft specializes in Vintage wear. It was an honor and a privilege to be asked to style another wardrobe stylist by the name of Sir Brent Brown...

His Look
Vintage Suit- Label Less
Shoes- JoGhost
Shirt- Calvin Klein
Vintage Porfolio Bag- Dolce and Gabanna 
Lapel Flower- His own



No comments:

Post a Comment